Topsy is a cooperative, multi-generational family farm at the western end of Amherst Island, in Lake Ontario. Those who work and live here are deeply committed to the environment in which they live. We plant trees and hedgerows and are a certified Monarch Way Station. No pesticides are broadcast on our land.
Our seasonal, volunteer-run shop offers fine art and crafts from Island and area artists and artisans at affordable prices. Come find handmade pottery, jewellery, clothing, accessories, fine art and photography, greeting cards, woodcraft, and much more. Non-handmade items are fundraisers for various organizations on the island (Museum, Women’s Institute, ISLE).
We are located in the historic Neilson Store Museum & Cultural Centre at 5220 Front Road at the east end of the village, and run under their hours:
May long weekend – Thanksgiving: Sat 10am – 4pm Sun 1pm – 4pm
July to Labour Day: Sat 10am – 4pm and Sun-Fri 1pm – 4pm
Opened in 2004, Amherst Island’s Neilson Store Museum highlights artifacts from Island families and Island history since its first settlement in 1789, when it was originally named Isle Tonti. Items in the collection include the MV Amherst Islander’s ship’s wheel, bell, and logs. Designated under the Ontario Heritage Act, the Museum itself is also an exhibit having once been owned by James S. Neilson, an island grain merchant who opened his first general store in 1873, with the store remaining in the Neilson family for more than one hundred years. Light Refreshments after the talk.