The Amherst Island Ferry Service runs between the Millhaven Ferry Dock on the mainland side and the Stella Ferry Dock on a daily, year-round basis. Amherst Island regularly serviced by the 33-car MV Frontenac II, and during periods of prolonged maintainance is substitued by the 17-car MV Quite Loyalist.
The ferry is operated by Loyalist Township and the ferry is owned by the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario.
The ferry leaves Stella on the hour every hour from 6:00 am until 1:00
The ferry leaves exactly on time when possible and does not wait for late arrivals. The ferry crossed the channel in approximately 20 minutes.
In the event of an emergency the ferry prioritizes emergency vehicles, meaning that it will return to the mainland in mid-trip and attend to the emergency before resuming the regular schedule. This may include the removal of vehicles from the ferry to make room for emergency vehicles.
Millhaven Ferry Dock, Mainland side – 5604 Highway 33, Millhaven, Ontario
Stella Ferry Dock – 1 Stella 40 Foot Road, Stella, Ontario
Fares are payable at time of crossing (from mainland to the island) by cash or cheque only. Books of bulk tickets may be purchased on the ferry to be used at crossing. For non-standard sized vehicles more than one ticket may be required at the discretion of the purser. Bulk ticket price is $100 for 25 round-trip tickets.
- Car, truck (under 1 ton), van, farm tractor or small school bus – $9.00
- RV or car with trailer, large vehicles requiring up to two vehicle spaces, or large school bus – $18.00
- Large vehicles and trailers or equipment requiring more than two vehicle spaces – $9.00 per space used
- Motorcycle – $2.00
- Bicycle – $1.50
Note: An administration charge of $20.00 will be added to the fare for any motorist with insufficient funds to pay the fare. The administration charge is required to cover costs incurred to prepare an invoice.
Ferry Line Etiquette
It is important to be respectful and orderly while waiting for the ferry. At periods of peak usage, or diminished capacity (such as when the ferry is attending an emergency, or while being replaced by a smaller ferry), there can be a great deal of pressure on the ferry mustering areas on both docks. In these instances it is vital to observe good ferry line etiquette and to listen to ferry staff on the docks when they are present.
- Fill all lanes as you arrive
- Pull all the way to the front of the line to ensure lines can be filled
- Be mindful of your position in the line and wait your turn
Ferry User Notes
- Regular ferry maintenance is scheduled in advance as often as possible and is announced in local newspapers, the Township website, ferry dock signboards, and household mailing to Island residents.
- Prolonged unexpected breakdowns are announced on local radio stations and a message will be on the ferry office phone (613-389-3393). The Amherst Island radio station, CJAI 92.1 FM. Service updates will also be posted on Twitter, @island_ferry and on Facebook.
- Cell phone use while loading and unloading the Ferry is prohibited. Please pay attention and follow instructions from the ferry staff.
Guidelines for Larger Vehicles
The ferry has now converted to end-loading operations and as such, previous maximum length restrictions no longer apply. However, vehicles are still restricted to a maximum overhead clearance of 13 feet. Should you wish to load a vehicle exceeding that height, please contact the Ferry Office to discuss your particular instance; or bring the vehicle to the ferry dock for a test fit.